Whether you are cleaning out your closets for extra space or you are moving, protecting your wardrobe is essential. Clothes can be fragile and storing them properly is a must. Here are some tips for storing your clothing to make it a worry free process for you.
- Wash or dry clean all clothing and jackets before storing. Dirt, oils, perfumes or stains on unclean clothing will attract many insects, especially in high temperatures.
- Store clothes in an airtight container or bin. Throw in some cedar wood blocks or lavender to keep moths and insects away from snacking on your clothes.
- Purchase any form of Damp-rid and place it in your storage unit. Damp-rid will keep humidity away from your belongings.
- Use appropriate hangers for heavier items like coats and ski pants. It’s important to have some solid hangers for your winter gear so that they won’t get damaged.
- Never store anything in the dry cleaning plastic it came in. The plastic traps a ton of moisture, which can cause fibers to dry out and can cause yellowing of fabric